Adventures in Realism offers an accessible introduction to realism as it has evolved since the 19th century. Though focused on literature and literary theory, the significance of technology and the visual arts is also addressed.
- Comprises 16 essays written by a distinguished group of contributors, including Slavoj Žižek and Frederic Jameson
- Provides the historical, cultural, intellectual, and literary contexts necessary to understand developments in realism
- Addresses the artistic mediums and technologies such as painting and film that have helped shape the way we perceive reality
- Explores literary and pictorial sub-genres, such as naturalism and socialist realism
- Includes a brief bibliography and suggestions for further reading at the end of each section